- 1 lb. beef bones
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 lb. beef sirloin, sliced thinly
- 8 oz. rice noodles
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a large pot, add beef bones and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes. Drain the bones and rinse them with cold water to remove any impurities.
- In the same pot, add the bones, onion, ginger, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, salt, sugar, and 6 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 6-8 hours, skimming any foam or impurities that rise to the top.
- Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer into another pot. Discard the bones and spices.
- Bring the broth to a boil and add the beef sirloin. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Divide the noodles among 4 large bowls. Top with the cooked beef, green onions, bean sprouts, cilantro, and mint.
- Ladle the hot broth over the ingredients in each bowl.
- Serve with fish sauce, lime wedges, and additional herbs for garnish.
Enjoy your delicious bowl of Pho!