- 4 bell peppers (color of choice)
- 2 cups cooked rice of choice
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP) or cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (any color you like)
- 4 tbsp crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce GF (or tamari or coconut aminos)
- 1 tbsp oil (e.g. sesame oil or coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan cheese sauce (or your favorite vegan cheese) to taste
- Chopped chives to taste
Cook your favorite rice according to packaging instructions. You will need 2 cups of cooked rice for this recipe (this is about 2/3 cup of dry rice).
Next, soak 1 cup of the TVP with equal amounts of hot water or vegetable broth and leave to soak for 10 minutes. During this time, the TVP will fluff up and absorb most of the liquid. Then drain the excess liquid thoroughly.
Skip this step if you are going to use cooked chickpeas.
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (about 375 degrees F).
With a knife, carefully remove the “lids” of the 4 bell peppers and also discard all the seeds.
Heat oil in a skillet, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, the textured soy protein and fry for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
Add the chopped 1/2 cup bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, soy sauce, peanut butter, spices (curry, smoked paprika), salt/pepper to taste, and coconut milk to the skillet, and let simmer for about 5 minutes on low-medium heat. Stir occasionally.
Now add the cooked rice and check if the mixture needs more salt/pepper/spices.
Fill the 4 peppers with the rice/veggie mixture, add your favorite vegan cheese to taste. Bake in the oven for about 30-45 minutes.
You will probably have some rice/veggie mixture leftovers, which you can store covered in the fridge for a few days. Enjoy!