Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup combines rich German beer and cheeses to make a rich, creamy indulgent soup! Think creamy fondue in soup form! Easy to make and delicious this rich meal is ready in just 30 minutes!
- 1 12 oz bottle beer recommend lager or a stout
- 2 cups gruyere shredded
- 2 cups goud shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup brie cheese remove rind and cube
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large heavy bottom pot melt the butter over medium heat. When melted, add the olive oil and chopped onions. Saute for about 5 minutes until they just begin to get soft.
While the onions are cooking, mince the garlic. Shred and prepare all of the cheeses.
After 5 minutes of cooking the onions, add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute. Then add in the flour. Cook and stir the flour for about two minutes, it will cook thru and turn slightly gold in color.
Next add in the beer and vegetable stock – stir and cook to combine, the mixture will be creamy and quite thick. Add the Worcestershire and tabasco sauce and about ½ teaspoon of salt & pepper.
Reduce the heat to medium low and add the milk. Then add the cheese a handful at a time. Whisk to combine between each addition will ensure the soup will be smooth and silky.
Finishing with a bit of nutmeg over the top and a pinch of paprika or sprinkling of minced parsley if desired.
Tips to make Beer and Cheese Soup
- Do not bring the soup to a boil as it will curdle.
- Add the cheese one handful at a time, whisking to combine between each addition. so the soup will be smooth and silky.
- To reheat frozen soup, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator and slowly reheat on the stovetop. Do not bring to a boil or the soup could curdle.
Calories: 786kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 62g | Saturated Fat: 36g | Cholesterol: 202mg | Sodium: 1201mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1491IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 1273mg | Iron: 1mg