- 1 pound dried white beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and cook until softened.
- Add drained white beans, thyme, salt and pepper, and broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the orzo and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in lemon juice and zest, then remove the soup from heat.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley (optional). Enjoy!