Vegan White Bean and Kale Soup
White Bean Cabbage Soup is a flavor-packed, 30-minute veggie bean soup! An easy soup recipe for any level of cooking skill and made for the Instant Pot or cooker. Cabbage soup with beans and vegetables makes eating a budget-friendly healthy nothing but boring!
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil or oil of choice
- 1/2 large White Onion, 1/4 lb or 1 cup chopped
- 2 large Carrots 1/4 lb or 1 cup chopped
- 2 rib(s) Celery 1/4 pound or 1 cup chopped
- 5 cloves of Garlic finely chopped
- 1 28oz can Chopped Tomatoes or Crushed Tomatoes do not juice
- 2 15 oz cans of Cannellini Beans (or any cooked white beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock or any broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Optional 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper
- 4 cups Kale (or Spinach) fresh or frozen
- White Bean and Kale Soup Instant Pot Recipe
Select “Saute” in Instant Pot and add OLIVE OIL.
- When “Hot” appears on the screen, add ONION, CARROT, celery and GARLIC; Saute for a few minutes, stirring if necessary, until slightly softened.
- Mix TOMATO, WHITE BEANS, VEGETABLE JUICE, ITALIAN SEASONING, RED PEPPER and SALT.
Secure the cap and turn the pressure relief valve to the “Seal” position.
- Press “Cancel” on the Instant Pot. Select “Manual” or “Pressure Cooking” and set Instant Pot to “High” pressure for 1 minute.
- Note: In real time, it takes about 15 minutes to pressurize the pot and cook the soup for 1 minute with the pressure.
- Once the cycle is complete, let the Instant Pot sit uninterrupted for 10-15 minutes for a natural pressure relief (NPR).
- Turn the pressure relief valve to the “Vent” position to release any remaining steam. Unlock and remove the cover.
- Add KALE (or other greens); close the lid and let the cabbage rest for 5 minutes to wilt (keep the pressure valve open to prevent pressure build-up again)
- Press “Cancel” or let the pot remain in “Keep Warm” mode.
White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe
- Heat OLIVE OIL in a 3 qt soup pot over medium-high heat until shimmering (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add ONION, CARROT, celery and GARLIC; Saute for a few minutes, stirring if necessary, until slightly softened.
- Mix TOMATO, VEGETABLES, BEANS, SALT, ITALIAN SEASONING and (optional) RED PEPPER.
Boil the bean soup; then reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add kale (or spinach) and continue simmering until kale wilts.
Service and storage
- Serve hot. Garnishing options: lemon zest, fresh parsley, croutons or grated Parmesan cheese.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days
- To freeze, store in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months.
Can I use uncooked white beans for this white bean soup?
I don’t recommend adding uncooked white beans to this recipe because they will need to be pressure-cooked for at least 30 minutes to fully cook, which will turn the vegetables into mush. You can cook the beans separately with this recipe, and add them to the soup after cooking in pressure cooker.
Can I substitute fresh tomatoes for canned diced tomatoes?
Of course it can! For canned tomatoes, you can sub 1:1 or adjust to your preference. Use whatever tomato variety you want! I personally don’t bother to peel it as the skins will fall off naturally and become part of the soup. This is your call.