- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Guinness or other dark beer
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a large bowl, toss the beef cubes with flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes and brown on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onions and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, beef broth, beer, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the beef back to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and place it in the oven.
- Cook for 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve warm with some crusty bread.
Note: You can also add some diced carrots, celery, and parsnips, to add more vegetables to the stew.