- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cream and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with additional basil if desired.