- 1/2 cup chili oil, divided
- 5-10 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms (you can also use up to – pound of sliced white or baby bella mushrooms. See Jeff’s Tips if you don’t do mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced or crushed (I use Squeeze Ginger)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium), tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1 (16-ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained (optional)
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds frozen wontons, dumplings (or “potstickers”) with fillings your choice (you can find these in the frozen section at most markets, Asian markets or Costco – I like to use a mini size but any size will do. See Jeff’s Tips)
- 8-10 ounces baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch + 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup chili garlic sauce OR sriracha (both are usually in the same section of your market)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced and divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (I used half black and half regular)
NOTE: READ JEFF’S TIPS BEFORE BEGINNING THIS RECIPE FOR SPICE ADJUSTMENTS!
- Add 1/4 cup of the chili oil to the Instant Pot. Hit Sauté and Adjust so it’s on the More or High Setting. After 3 minutes of heating, add the mushrooms and ginger and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar and be sure to deglaze all the sticky browned bits caused by the mushrooms. Follow with the broth, soy sauce, white pepper (if using), bamboo shoots (if using) and frozen wontons or dumplings (See Jeff’s Tips). Top with the spinach but do not stir. Secure the lid, hit Cancel and then hit Pressure Cook or Manual at High Pressure for 1 minute. Quick release when done.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cornstarch and water to form a slurry. Hit Cancel followed by Sauté and Adjust so it’s on the More or High Setting. Once bubbling, stir in the slurry for 30 seconds and then kill the heat. The soup will have thickened-up nicely.
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of chili oil, chili garlic sauce (or sriracha), sesame oil, hoisin sauce, scallions and sesame seeds.
- Ladle into bowls and top with more sesame seeds and scallions, if desired.