This Sausage Potato Soup with Kale is comforting and made with incredibly flavorful smoked sausage, potatoes, kale, cream and Parmesan. Make it on the stove or in the slow cooker!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1 rib celery sliced
- 2 smoked sausages halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1½ lbs potatoes about 6 medium, peeled and diced
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- ¼–½ cup cream (optional)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat a medum skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, carrots. celery and sausages and cook until onions are softened and translucent.
Add garlic, salt, thyme and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium heat and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
Stir in kale and cream and serve with Parmesan if desired.