Here is a recipe for rustic Italian crusty bread:
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and honey. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes, or until the yeast is activated and foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and mix until a rough dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a round loaf. Place the loaf on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife to make a few shallow slashes across the top of the loaf.
- Bake the bread for about 30 minutes, or until it is golden brown and crusty.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Enjoy!