ETA- Just adapted a couple different recipes that I’ve seen (a huge thank you to everyone who has posted theirs for inspiration!). I made two batches, but for one batch I used:
3 1/2 tomatoes on the vine
1 container heirloom grape tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1/2 large red onion
2 garlic bulbs
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
Doused with olive oil, salt, and pepper
425 for 50 minutes
1 tbsp tomato paste sautéed with 1 tsp dried basil (all of the stores around me were out of fresh, but I’ll definitely swap this next time)
Poured into the pot with a cup of chicken stock and 1/2 cup cream
Jalapeño Cheddar Bread
for 8 servings
- 3 ½ cups bread flour(445 g), plus more for dusting
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese(250 g), divided
- 2 jalapeñoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced into rings, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups warm water(480 mL)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dutch oven with lid
- silicone spatula, if you don’t have one, you can use your slightly moistened hand
- In a large bowl, combine the bread flour, 2 cups (200 g) of cheddar cheese, the chopped jalapeños, and salt. Stir well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Pour the flour mixture on top of the water and use a silicone spatula to stir until the dough comes together.
- With the spatula, fold the dough around the edges of the bowl toward the center, rotating the bowl each time and folding a total of 8 times. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest in a warm place for 60 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.
- Using the spatula, fold the dough toward the center again 8 more times. Cover with the towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the Dutch oven and lid to the oven, and preheat to 450˚F (230˚C) for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and your hands. Carefully peel the dough out of the bowl and onto the floured surface. Flip over and carefully brush away excess flour. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center 8 times, then flip over the dough and transfer to a piece of parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the dough with the olive oil, so the cheese will stick. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup (50 g) of cheese on top. Use a sharp knife to score the bread with an “X”, which will allow steam to escape. Arrange the jalapeño rings on top of the cheese.
- Carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven and use the parchment to lift the bread into the pot. Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for 20 more minutes, until the bread is golden brown.
- Carefully slide the bread out of the pot and onto a wire rack. Remove the parchment paper and let the bread cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Slice the bread and serve as desired.