- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs, for serving (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until the leeks are soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a blender and puree it in batches. Be careful when blending hot liquids!
- Stir in the milk and heat the soup until hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped fresh herbs, if desired. Enjoy!