- 1 pound linguica sausage, sliced
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for sautéing
- Optional: small potatoes, carrots, or white beans for added thickness
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the sliced linguica and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add a little more oil and sauté the onions and garlic until softened.
- Add the chopped cabbage, broth, water, diced tomatoes, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- If desired, you can add small diced potatoes, carrots or white beans for added thickness.
- Return the cooked linguica to the pot and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or bread rolls.
Note : Linguica is a spicy Portuguese sausage. If you can’t find it, you can use chorizo or andouille sausage as a substitute.