- 1 lb mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake, and oyster), sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme leaves, and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are browned and softened.
- Pour in the white wine and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the broth, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend the soup until smooth with a blender or immersion blender.
- Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the soup back on the stove over medium heat until hot.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Note: You can add some diced carrots, celery or potatoes to the ingredients list to make it even more hearty and filling.