For the shortbread base:
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (65g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the caramel filling:
- 1 can (14 oz/400g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or golden syrup
For the chocolate topping:
- 8 oz (225g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8-inch (20cm) square baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool completely.
- To make the caramel filling, combine the condensed milk, butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and turns a caramel color, about 10-15 minutes. Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread base and smooth it out with a spatula. Let cool to room temperature.
- To make the chocolate topping, melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Pour the chocolate over the cooled caramel layer and spread it out evenly. Let cool until set.
- Once the chocolate is set, use a sharp knife to cut the bars into squares. Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Enjoy!