Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 1/4 cup dried pinto beans soaked overnight (see first step below)
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small white onion diced
- 7 oz. can fire roasted diced chiles
- 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 14.5 oz. can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
- 32 oz. box chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup dry brown Minute Rice
The beans need to be soaked over night in water to help soften them up. Do this by adding the beans to a medium sized bowl and covering with water.
Add the soaked beans, chicken, chiles, enchilada sauce, stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and cumin to the slow cooker. Stir. DO NOT ADD MINUTE RICE YET.
Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
Add the dried brown Minute rice to the slow cooker, stir.
Cover and let cook on low for 45 minutes more.
I only use Minute rice (instant) in the slow cooker. Regular rice tends to get gummy in the slow cooker.
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1039mg | Potassium: 985mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 382IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 4mg