Filled with earthy lentils and vegetables, Mediterranean Lentil Soup is a hearty soup and easy to make. Rich and flavorful it will become your go-to meal again and again!
- 1 cup dried orange lentils
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lemon optional
Dice the onion, carrots and celery.
Heat a heavy stock pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the vegetables. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until they just begin to soften.
Next add the spices. Stir them in and mix well with the vegetables – add the lentils and sauté for another minute and add the stock & water.
Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce to medium low and continue to simmer the soup, stirring occasionally. It will take about another 15 minutes until the lentils are completely cooked.
When the lentils are cooked, remove from the heat and finish by squeezing the juice of half a lemon into the soup, stir to combine and serve.
Serving suggestions for Lentil Soup
- Easy Dinner Rolls – simple pillowy rolls. There’s rarely leftovers!
- Skillet Cornbread Recipe – The BEST cornbread recipe, sweet and buttery with a delicious crunch.
- Cuban Sliders – easy make-ahead sandwiches with cheese and ham – YUM!
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 836mg | Potassium: 580mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1970IU | Vitamin C: 9.2mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 3.3mg