- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and dried thyme and sauté for another minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the sliced carrots to the pot and let them cook for 5-7 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add the orzo pasta to the soup and let it cook for about 10-12 minutes until tender.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the pot, along with the freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir well and let the soup simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the baby spinach leaves to the soup and stir until wilted.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot.
Enjoy your delicious lemon chicken orzo soup with carrots!