This lemon chicken orzo soup is simply bursting with Mediterranean flavors! It’s a cozy and warming soup made with just a handful of ingredients that will definitely make any day better.
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time35 minutes
Total Time40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts (about 3/4 lb / 350 g)
- 1 cup (225 g) orzo
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 cup (30 g) fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven and cook the carrot and celery for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Next, add the chicken stock and chicken breasts. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes with a lid placed ajar on the pot.
- Take out the cooked chicken and set it aside on a plate. Add the orzo to the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the orzo doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken using two forks. When the orzo is cooked, add the shredded chicken back to the pot together with the lemon juice and fresh dill.
- Season to taste and serve immediately with your favorite crusty bread if you like.