This creamy, comforting Keto Italian Sausage Soup is loaded with meat, vegetables and cheese! Each generous serving has about 8 net carbs, making it the perfect low carb dinner.
I’m happy to introduce you to your new favorite soup recipe! This Keto Italian Sausage Soup has everything you want in a dinner. It requires one pan, minimal prep and is so delicious even your pickiest eaters will love it! The flavors of this soup will remind you of your favorite pasta dish. It has flavorful Italian sausage, tomatoes, tender kale, and salty Parmesan cheese.
Ingredients for Keto Italian Sausage Soup
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this soup. To get the complete recipe and instructions just keep scrolling.
- Ground Italian sausage: you can use a mild, sweet or spicy variety. If you have Italian sausage links, simply remove the casing and brown.
- Vegetables: onions, bell pepper, garlic, kale
- Canned goods: fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- Heavy cream
- Cheese: Cream cheese and shredded Parmesan
How to make Keto Sausage Soup
This is such an easy, comforting dish to make. While some soups require loads of prep work or need to simmer long periods of time, this soup requires minimal prep and comes together in a pinch!
- First, in a large dutch oven or stock pot brown the Italian sausage over medium heat, breaking up and crumbling as you go. Drain the grease and add the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic and sauté about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Next, add the drained fire roasted tomatoes, the tomato paste, and broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cream cheese and heavy cream. When the cream cheese has dissolved, stir in the chopped kale.
- Lastly, serve with freshly grated parmesan or Romano cheese for the perfect hearty low carb soup!
Tips for the best Keto Soup
- Allow the flavors to meld. This is a great soup to make ahead of time because it only gets better as the flavors come together. This soup will stay fresh for 3-4 days and reheats easily!
- Prep your ingredients. Allow your cream cheese to come to room temperature before adding to the soup. This just helps it dissolve and blend into the soup easier.
- Chop the kale. Remember when prepping the kale you want to chop it pretty small so you have nice small bites mixed in throughout the soup. Long, stringy pieces of kale will not make for the best texture.
What to serve with keto soup?
Thankfully, being keto does not mean giving up bread! Besides, bread and soup go together like peanut butter and jelly! These breads would all be delicious served with this Italian Sausage Soup.
- 2 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (32 ounce) carton beef broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the Italian sausage, breaking it up as you go. Grain off any grease.
- Add the garlic, peppers and onion. Sauté 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the drained fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- Stir in the cream cheese and heavy cream. Reduce the heat to medium low and stir until the cream cheese is completely incorporated.
- Stir in the kale and allow the soup to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the parmesan just before serving.
YIELD: 6 SERVING SIZE: About 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 392TOTAL FAT: 31gCHOLESTEROL: 84mgSODIUM: 1100mgCARBOHYDRATES: 11gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 8.4gFIBER: 2.6gSUGAR: 6.1gPROTEIN: 16.8g