- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (any kind)
- 1 medium (or 2 small) yellow onions, quartered into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or smashed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2-3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or Onion or Garlic broth)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1-2 teaspoons seasoned salt (add more or less to taste if desired)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For Topping (optional):
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 2-4 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- French’s Fried onions (optional)
- Add the sesame oil to the Instant Pot and hit Sauté so it’s on the More or High setting. After 3 minutes of heating, add the onion, garlic, ginger and carrot and sauté for 8-10 minutes until the onion and garlic are nicely browned and just slightly charred on the edges.
- Use a mixing spoon to transfer the sautéed veggies to a steamer basket (see Jeff’s Tip) and lower it into the pot.
- Pour the broths in the pot, secure the lid and hit Manual or Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 15 minutes. Quick release when done.
- Remove the steamer basket with the veggies from the broth and discard. Stir the onion powder and seasoned salt into the broth and add more or less to taste (the salt flavor comes out more as it cools).
- Ladle into bowls and top with the sliced mushrooms, scallions and some fried onions, if desired. Goes GREAT as a starter for my Chicken Terikayi!