- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and jalapenos, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream and heat through.
- Serve hot and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!