- 1 pound stew beef, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the stew beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and cabbage to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced tomatoes (with their juice), beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the frozen green beans, corn, and peas to the pot and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the beef is cooked through.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
This Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup is hearty, healthy, and perfect for a cold day. It’s a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and protein in one delicious meal. Enjoy!