Hi everyone! I didn’t expect this to be so popular here is my method (you can call it a recipe but I don’t use exact ingredients). I start by sautéing the carrots (I use a small bag of prewashed baby carrots) and whole red onion in olive oil until browned. To that, I add 3 cups of water and diced potatoes (usually 2 to 3 russet potaroes) and simmer. My secret ingredient is using canned corned beef as a broth! After the water, I add the cabbage, diced garlic (about a tablespoon), teaspoon of Italian seasoning (its just a personal preference), salt and pepper to taste. I add onion powder (tablespoon) and a bit of red pepper flakes (again, a personal thing for me). Then I add the deli corned beef slices! I simmer this in a big pot on low for 2 hours (or until the carrots and potatoes are soft). I’m sorry it’s not anything special but it’s a family comfort food. Thank you all for the love. I’m a little embarrassed that my recipe isn’t super fancy
Here is a recipe for homemade corned beef and cabbage soup:
- 1 pound corned beef, diced
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the diced corned beef and cook until it is browned on all sides. Remove the corned beef from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the diced onions and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the chopped cabbage, cooked corned beef, beef broth, bay leaves, and caraway seeds (if using). Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.