- 1 lb. Portuguese sausage, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Rice, for serving
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the same pan and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the cooked sausage to the pan and add the chicken broth, kidney beans, cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes, until the kale is wilted.
- Serve the soup over rice. Enjoy!
Not sure what kind of kale they grow in Hawaii but, the kale we grow/ buy is dark green in color. I see no kale in this soup. Also, those large beans are neither cannellini or kidney.