- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1 envelope of active dry yeast
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of plain yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 tbsp of butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture and yogurt and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into 4-6 portions, depending on the size you want your naan breads to be.
- Roll out each portion of dough into a rough circle shape using a rolling pin.
- In a pan or on a griddle, cook the naan breads over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until puffed and lightly browned.
- While the naan breads are still hot, brush them with melted butter and sprinkle with minced garlic, shredded cheese, and cilantro, if desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Note: You can also use other types of cheese such as cheddar, gouda, or feta.