Amazing good and ridiculously easy! Your family is going to love this easy carrot soup recipe plus it is a great way to use up any leftover cooked carrots or this carrot bag the passed its prime time. I often throw in other forgotten vegetables as well. This easy soup is so delicious.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into chunks.
- 4 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream check notes for substitutions
In a pot over medium high heat, add oil and butter. Wait for the butter to melt then add onion chunks. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
Add carrots and keep stirring for 5 minutes to get the carrots tender and partially caramelize.
Add garlic slices and continue to stir for another 30 seconds.
Pour in the broth and bring the pot to a boil. Partially cover and let it simmer on medium low until carrots are fully cooked and fork tender.
When the soup is done, take it off heat and let it cool down a bit before blending until smooth.
Pour the blender content into a pot and return to stove top. Add spices and cream.
Mix everything well and Let it simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes then serve.
- Unless you want to make it budget friendly or to cut the calories try not to skip the butter for its delicious flavor.
- You can add celery stalks to this soup to give it a pleasant taste without overwhelming flavors.
- Let the soup cool down a bit before blending as it will be very hot.
- Use your blender and not an immersion blender to make sure the soup is ultra smooth and silky.
- Spice it up with red pepper flakes, diced tomatoes, turmeric, curry powder, a dash of cinnamon or cumin powder.
- You can use half and half , milk or blend it with cream cheese if you do not have cream.
- Pair it with crusty bread, garlic bread or pull apart cheese and garlic bread so delicious.
- To make it vegan: use vegetable broth and soy milk or coconut cream instead of chicken broth and heavy cream. You can also use vegan butter or double the olive oil.
- To Store: refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.