Zupa Ogórkowa (Polish Dill Pickle Soup Recipe) features the tangy flavor of dill pickles paired with garlic, fresh dill, and a variety of vegetables in a creamy broth. It’s easy to make and perfect for cozying up with!
5-quart pot with a heavy bottom
Wooden stirring spoon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and chopped (or 3 small onions)
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 pound yellow potatoes peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced dill pickles see Note
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 dried whole allspice berries or 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice see Note
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Sour cream for garnish
- Fresh dill for garnish
- Sourdough bread buttered
Add the butter to a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Once the butter is mostly melted, stir in the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are starting to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Add the potato, dill pickle, chicken stock, salt, black pepper, and allspice, and stir. Turn up the heat to bring the soup to a boil, and then turn the heat down so the soup simmers, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are softened but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
Use a potato masher to coarsely mash some of the vegetables. This will help thicken the soup.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, dill pickle juice, and minced fresh dill. Taste and add additional salt and black pepper if desired.
- Nutritional Information: Information for this recipe was calculated without the Serving Suggestions.
- Dill Pickles and Dill Pickle Juice: Make sure to use a sour dill pickle that isn’t overly vinegary for this recipe. I like to use half-sour pickles here.
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1117mg | Potassium: 829mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4723IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 2mg