- 9 small spinach tortillas (5-inch diameter)
- 2 cups of (360 g) cooked rice
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans or black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small/medium onion diced
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 3/4 cup (100 g) canned mushrooms or use fresh
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or more to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 4 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup (80 g) passata
- 2 tbsp hot sauce (or use less/more to taste)
- One batch (200 g) vegan cheese sauce or use 7 oz store-bought vegan cheese
Cook rice according to package instructions. You will need 2 cups of cooked rice for this recipe.
Use store-bought flour tortillas or corn tortillas of choice.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan/skillet over medium heat and add the onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper.
Sauté for about 3-5 minutes, then add garlic for a further minute. Stir occasionally.
Add all spices, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, plant-based milk, passata, and hot sauce. Stir and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
Add cooked rice and beans, stir and turn off the heat.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (210 degrees Celsius) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Use store-bought vegan cheese.
Add about 2 tbsp of the rice filling on one side of a tortilla and 1 tbsp of the vegan cheese. Fold the other side over the filling and press it slightly down with your fingers (see pictures above in the blog post). Do the same for the remaining tortillas.
Transfer all tortillas onto the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Enjoy hot!