Creamy Italian sausage gnocchi soup is thick, rich and the very definition of comfort food. Pillowy gnocchi cosy up with crispy bits of Italian sausage to create a soup that will warm up your belly and soul.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Total Time35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 g (1 lb) Italian sausage, casings removed and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) dry white wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) double cream
- 500 g gnocchi
- A handful baby spinach
- 30 g (1/4 cup) freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and fry the sausage for 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat until slightly browned, crumbling it with your spoon as it cooks.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, and red chilli flakes and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the white wine and cook for a minute, stirring often, until the alcohol evaporates almost completely. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the double cream, then add the gnocchi and cook for 2-3 minutes or as specified on the instructions on the package.
- Next, stir in the baby spinach and grated Parmesan, season to taste and serve immediately.
This looks really delicious. My question is what is double cream? Is it heavy cream, or can heavy cream be substituted for double cream?