Creamy Italian sausage gnocchi soup is thick, rich and the very definition of comfort food. Pillowy gnocchi cosy up with crispy bits of Italian sausage to create a soup that will warm up your belly and soul.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Total Time35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 g (1 lb) Italian sausage, casings removed and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) dry white wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) double cream
- 500 g gnocchi
- A handful baby spinach
- 30 g (1/4 cup) freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and fry the sausage for 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat until slightly browned, crumbling it with your spoon as it cooks.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, and red chilli flakes and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the white wine and cook for a minute, stirring often, until the alcohol evaporates almost completely. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the double cream, then add the gnocchi and cook for 2-3 minutes or as specified on the instructions on the package.
- Next, stir in the baby spinach and grated Parmesan, season to taste and serve immediately.