After a hike in the woods to enjoy the beautiful fall colors, this creamy broccoli
and cheddar soup is guaranteed to warm your body and your heart!
For the soup:
15 mL (1 tbsp.) chopped garlic
45 mL (3 tbsp.) flour
1.5 liters (6 cups) no-salt-added chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 broccoli, cut into florets
500 mL (2 cups) grated white cheddar cheese
125 mL (1/2 cup) 15% cooking cream
For the garnish:
5 slices bacon, cut into pieces
375 mL (1 1/2 cups) broccoli, cut into small florets
250 mL (1 cup) grated yellow cheddar cheese
1. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 1 to 2
2. Sprinkle with flour and stir. Add broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a
boil, then simmer for 12 to 15 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add broccoli to the soup and cook for another 8 minutes.
4. Gradually stir in white cheddar cheese until melted.
5. Transfer soup to an electric blender container. Blend for 1 minute until smooth
6. Return soup to saucepan and stir in cream. Bring to a boil again.
7. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon for 4 to 5 minutes, until crisp.
8. Add broccoli florets to skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
9. Divide soup among bowls. Top each serving with bacon, broccoli, and yellow