This comforting and hearty creamy bean soup with kielbasa sausage goes from cutting board to soup bowl in about a half an hour.
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds kielbasa sausage , cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic , pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern white beans , or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can dark kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- chopped parsley
In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add the onion, green bell pepper, carrot, and garlic. Season with the kosher salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and pepper softens, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and veggie mixture and stir to coat, stirring and cooking for 1-2 minutes or until it loses its raw floury taste and begins to smell toasty. Slowly add the milk and stir until smooth. Cook until the the mixture begins to thicken and bubble, stirring often, then add Worcestershire sauce, sage and beans. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes or until the flavors come together, stirring occasionally. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a few sprinkles of fresh parsley and french bread for dipping or crackers on the side.
Calories: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 2256mg | Potassium: 799mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 4151IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 251mg | Iron: 16mg