- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and cook until softened.
- Stir in flour until fully combined, then gradually add in the broth while whisking.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in heavy cream, salt, and pepper. If desired, add fresh thyme leaves and dry sherry.
- Let the soup simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the soup cool for a few minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth, using an immersion blender or a regular blender.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!