- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 10-15 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large, greased bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape the dough into a long, narrow rectangle.
- Dust the top of the dough with semolina flour and transfer it to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Using a sharp knife, make shallow slashes across the top of the dough.
- Bake the bread for 20-25 minutes until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Let the bread cool on a wire rack before serving.