- 500 grams (17.6 ounces) of bread flour
- 10 grams (0.35 ounces) of salt
- 10 grams (0.35 ounces) of fresh yeast or 3 grams (0.1 ounces) of dry yeast
- 350 milliliters (11.8 fluid ounces) of water
- 20 milliliters (0.68 fluid ounces) of olive oil (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water.
- Add the yeast mixture and oil (if using) to the flour mixture.
- Mix the ingredients together until they form a sticky dough.
- Knead the dough for 10-15 minutes, either by hand or using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel, and let it rise for about 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C).
- Gently deflate the dough and shape it into a rectangular loaf.
- Place the loaf on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and make slashes across the top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
- Bake the bread for 25-30 minutes, or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.