- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture in three parts, alternating with the wet ingredients, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe makes one 9-inch cake. If you want to make a layer cake, simply double the recipe and bake in two 9-inch round cake pans.