- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro (optional toppings)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it using two forks.
- Add the chopped onion and bell peppers to the pot and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chopped green chilies, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Chicken Fajita Soup!