This Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup is creamy, comforting and utterly delicious. It’s sure to please even the fussiest of eaters. Grab a bowl a get cozy!
- 5 1/2 Tbsp butter , divided
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes , cut 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick (2 large)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets (from about 2 heads)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (preferably 1% or 2%)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (1 oz)
In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp of the butter. Add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3 – 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook 5 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk (whisk well until no lumps remain).
Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken, stir in heavy cream. Remove from heat and once all veggies are tender pour into the soup and stir. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted. Serve warm.
- This broccoli potato cheese soup won’t freeze well because of the dairy. If making in advance, store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- If you don’t have cheddar, try using a good melting cheese such as Gruyere cheese. A little blue cheese would also work really well.
- You could also use cauliflower instead of broccoli in this vegetarian potato soup recipe.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy