- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery to the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped cabbage, thyme, bay leaf, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pot.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and the diced tomatoes, including the liquid from the can.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and discard.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped fresh herbs or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Enjoy your delicious and warming cabbage soup!