- ▢1head cabbage
- ▢3lbs ricotta cheese
- ▢1 ½ cups parmesan cheese grated
- ▢¼ cup dried parsley optional
- ▢3large eggs
- ▢2pounds ground meat browned
- ▢40ounces marinara sauce with no sugar added
- ▢32ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
- ▢¼ cup parmesan grated (optional)
- Carefully remove leaves from cabbage head.
- Parboil leaves in salted boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Drain and remove excess water with towel.
- Mix ricotta and parmesan cheese with eggs and parsley (if using). Set aside.
- Stir marinara sauce into browned meat.
- Spread about ¾ cup sauce onto bottom of 11×15-inch baking pan.
- Place a layer of cooked cabbage leaves over sauce.
- Spread half ricotta cheese mixture over cabbage leaves.
- Top cheese mixture with half the remaining sauce.
- Cover sauce with half the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Top off with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake 350F for about 25 minute
After boiling the cabbage leaves, they should be soft and tender.To speed things up, the cabbage leaves can be steamed in the microwave. Simply place in a microwave-safe bowl along with a couple tablespoons of water and microwave covered on high (100%) for about 6 to 8 minutes. For even cooking, it’s best to rearrange the leaves in the middle of the cooking time.