- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced butternut squash and stir to coat with the onions and garlic.
- Add the broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Carefully puree the soup using an immersion blender or transfer it to a blender and blend it until smooth.
- If using, stir in the heavy cream.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot and garnish with some chopped parsley or roasted pumpkin seeds.