- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in butter until softened.
- Add the flour and stir to form a roux. Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually pour in the broth, whisking continuously to prevent lumps.
- Add the broccoli florets and simmer until tender.
- Pour in the heavy cream and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.