- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in the fresh blueberries and stir gently.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vanilla extract, and lemon zest (if using).
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together.
- Pat the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter to cut out 8-10 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with heavy cream (if using) and sprinkle with coarse sugar (if using).
- Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious blueberry biscuits!