- 1 boxed chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients required for cake mix, such as oil, water, and eggs)
- 2 cans of cherry pie filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated chocolate or chocolate shavings
- Fresh cherries for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans.
- Prepare the chocolate cake mix according to the package instructions. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter and spread half of the cherry pie filling over the top. Repeat with the second cake layer and remaining cherry pie filling.
- Spoon the whipped cream over the top of the cake and smooth it evenly.
- Sprinkle the grated chocolate or chocolate shavings over the whipped cream.
- Garnish with fresh cherries, if desired.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Enjoy your delicious Black Forest Cake!