- 12 ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 2 cups diced ham
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups shredded collard greens
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Place black-eyed peas in a large bowl and cover with 2 inches of water. Let sit overnight (8-12 hours). Drain.
In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon until crispy.
Add onion and cook 3 minutes to soften.
Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add water, chicken bouillon, black-eyed peas, ham, carrots, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 2 hours
Stir in collard greens and apple cider vinegar and cook 10 to 15 minutes.