I cooked 6 thick slices of bacon, set it aside and sautéed 1 large diced yellow onion in the fat, threw in some minced garlic and a couple of ham steaks cubed up while the beans were boiling. Then, I threw it all in the opt with the beans, along with a can of diced tomatoes, a can of corn and seasonings. I used summer savory, sage, thyme, paprika, marjoram, celery salt and white pepper.
Here is a recipe for black-eyed pea soup:
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped collard greens or kale
- Rinse and sort the black-eyed peas, removing any stones or debris.
- Place the black-eyed peas in a large pot and add the water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour or until the peas are tender.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Stir in the collard greens or kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!