Cabbage soup is about as comforting and healthy as they come! All you need to do is simmer a bunch of sliced cabbage with mirepoix vegetables, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and herbs for an easy and delicious, low calorie meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cabbage chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4–6 cups vegetable broth depending how thick or brothy you’d like it
- 1–2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- cracked black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, and add the diced onions, carrot, and celery. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
Add the minced garlic and spices and stir for another minute.
Add the cabbage and let it sweat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour in the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes and let it simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened to your liking.
Remove the cabbage soup from the heat and add the lemon juice, parsley, and cracked black pepper. Give it another stir, then serve.
- If you love my big soup pot, it’s this Le Creuset round Dutch oven.