Beef Bourguignon a la Julia Child is a classic French dish made with beef, bacon, onions, mushrooms, and red wine. Here is a recipe you can try:
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2-3 lbs of beef chuck or round, cut into 2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped onions
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bottle of red wine (Burgundy or Pinot Noir)
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 lb of small onions or pearl onions, peeled
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and coat it with flour.
- Add the beef to the pot with the bacon fat and brown it on all sides. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pot and sauté the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until they are softened.
- Add the red wine, beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the beef, bacon, carrots, and pearl onions to the pot and stir well.
- Cover the pot with a lid and place it in the oven for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the pot from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serve it with mashed potatoes, rice or crusty bread.