My husband doesn’t believe that soup is enough sustenance for a meal.
I made Jeffrey’s Beef & Barley soup (like, immediately added it to my shopping list when he posted it last week) and HOLY CRAP. It’s incredible. Definitely the best soup I’ve ever made.
Did I change my husbands mind? I don’t know…his mouth was too full for comment
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large (or 2 medium) carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 pounds chuck meat, cut into chunky (yet bite-size) cubes
- 6 cloves (2 tablespoons) garlic, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound baby or fingerling potatoes, skins-on and quartered/roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot, hit Sauté and Adjust so it’s on the More or High setting. After 3 minutes of the oil heating, add the onion, carrot and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until it softens just a bit.
- Add the beef and garlic and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, until the beef is lightly browned on the edges.
- Add the broth, barley, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, thyme and black pepper. Use a wooden spoon to give it a good stir, scraping any browned bits up from the bottom of the pot. Top with the potatoes and bay leaves.
- Secure the lid, move the valve to the sealing position, hit Cancel and then hit Manual or Pressure Cook for 20 minutes. When done, allow a 15-minute natural release (meaning you do nothing for 15 minutes) followed by a quick release.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with some bread (be it crusty French/Italian or garlic knots)!