- 1 pound lean beef, such as sirloin or round, cut into small cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the beef over medium-high heat until it is nicely browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, heat a little bit of oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef back to the pot, along with the barley, beef broth, water, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Stir everything together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours or until the beef is tender and the barley is cooked.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary before serving. Enjoy!